Thursday 12 August 2010

A Jolly Time in London

On Monday I went to London with two of my friends, Tracy and Katie, as a 40th birthday treat for Katie. Our first activity was to go on a Duck Tour (which is an amphibious vehicle used during World War II for the D-Day landings). Our starting point was near the London Eye and we went for a 45 minute drive around London, including Parliament Square, Pall Mall, Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, Hyde Park Corner, Victoria, and then on to Vauxhall, where we then went onto the river for half an hour before driving back to the London Eye. It was great fun and we had a brilliant guide, who when not making us groan with his bad jokes, told us some very interesting facts about London.



Katie by our Duck (Desdemona)



Another Duck on the river


Me on our Duck
After our tour we had a quick, but lovely lunch in a restaurant called the Arch Duke opposite the Festival Hall. Then onwards to Victoria and Buckingham Palace for an exhibition in the Queen's Gallery. The exhibition was called Victoria and Albert, Love and Art, which was about their life together and all the beautiful pieces they commissioned during their marriage - some really wonderful pieces of art, furniture and some absolutely gorgeous jewellery.
Katie went home after this and Tracy and I went on to Sloane Square to find a ribbon shop called VV Rouleaux - what a treasure trove! I did buy some ribbon, but had to seriously restrain myself - ribbon for every occasion!
After that, we walked down the Kings Road to the Saatchi Gallery, spotting the newsreader Kate Silverton having a cup of tea in the cafe there. The Saatchi Gallery doesn't do it for me I'm afraid - not really convinced by a lot of modern art - long pieces of polythene splattered in paint and draped across the floor - what is that all about??!! (apologies if that is your thing).

After a drink and rather yummy cake, I decided it was home time - it was about 6.30 by this point. I had a really lovely time, and it made me realise that I don't come up to London nearly often enough - so much to see and do.
On Tuesday a friend and her 15 year old son came to visit - we only get to see each other once a year, usually in the summer holidays, but we are always able to chat like we've seen each other recently.
Yesterday was a quiet day - thank goodness. I had a morning catching up on TV - an adaptation of Wuthering Heights that I had recorded from the previous evening and I thought it was time for another viewing of Twilight! I did spend the afternoon making cards, and have managed to make about 10 from a cupcake kit that I've had for a while (hopefully I'll get to post them soon).
In the evening, the four of us went to see Toy Story 3 in 3D - absolutely fantastic! It was rather poignant for me, having just blitzed Edward's room and got rid of half his toys - it made me quite tearful! I recommend it, and 3D is good fun, even allowing for the silly glasses!!
Time to sign of for now, card making calling. Enjoy your day.
M x

No comments:

Post a Comment