I've been pondering today about making a list of my top ten books of all time and have decided that it is an impossible task! I've been an avid since I was a child - always a book in hand, often reading til the early hours - how can I possibly narrow it down to just 10 books? I have favourite books to suit my mood, old favourites that bring me comfort or a bit of nostalgia, some that just make me laugh out loud, some that are pure escapism and some that make me cry. Here are just a selection of books, or just authors that have given me pleasure over the years (in no particular order).
- The Chalet School series by Elinor M Brent Dyer. I started reading this school series when I was about 11 and was really enchanted with the setting - the Austrian Tirol. I managed to buy about 30 books in the series with no idea really of how many were still left to get. I revisited these books about 8 or 9 years ago and discovered that there were 62 (!!) in the whole set - wow. I now own all 62 and have had lots of pleasure reading the whole series from start to finish. I dream of passing them on to my daughter but sadly she has absolutely no interest in them!
- As a child I was a fan of all things Enid Blyton. I absolutely loved the Famous Five and the Secret Seven, as well as Mallory Towers and St Clares. The Faraway Tree books were also enjoyed, plus various mystery and adventure stories.
- I really enjoy "Chick-Lit" - it's pure escapism. Anything by Fiona Walker, Jill Mansell, Jane Green, Freya North, Elizabeth Noble, Sophie Kinsella, Marian Keyes et al.
- Anyone who knows me, knows I am obsessed with the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer. I try to convert everyone I can! You are either Team Edward or Team Jacob and I am firmly Team Edward - read them and decide for yourself.
- I've always been a Jane Austen fan - even before Colin Firth came out of the pond in his white shirt! My favourite is of course Pride and Prejudice, but I love Emma too, as well as Sense and Sensibility.
- Some recent books that I have enjoyed immensely (if that's the right word) - The Kite Runner, The Time Traveller's Wife, My Daughter's Keeper, The Lovely Bones, Sacred Hearts, Star of the Sea and Wedlock.
- One of my all time favourites - Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell. I first read this when I was 12 and devoured it in just 4 days. I love reading about that time in history and who can help falling in love with Rhett Butler!
- The Harry Potter series - I adore these books and frequently read them. I cried at the end of The Half-Blood Prince and was on the edge of my seat during The Deathly Hallows, desperate not to be let down by the ending (which I wasn't!).
- Watership Down - always makes me cry. Those rabbits really got to me!
- And finally - anything that is recommend to me. My son often suggests I read some of his books - which I do. I really enjoyed the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz. I have recently read Holes by Louis Sachar at Edward's instigation and will probably read the Percy Jackson books after reading some to Edward in the bath the other night.
I'd love to hear about other people's favourite books - let me know what you think.