Monday 7 March 2011

Once upon a time . . .

Last week at school was Once Upon a Time week, to coincide with World Book Day. Obviously no themed week would be complete without a dressing up day, and as a member of staff, it's pretty much obligatory to dress up too. Not my favourite thing.

I wracked my brain over half term to think of something that would feel comfortable to wear all day and also something that I wouldn't feel like a fool in! I had a brainwave and decided to come as Cinderella before she got made over by her Fairy Godmother! So I made myself a skirt with a ragged bottom, an apron and a headscarf, then raided my wardrobe for a peasanty type blouse - job done! No photos though I'm afraid - couldn't possibly share that delight with you!!

I spent a good part of the week creating this little masterpiece below, with 29 children as my helpers (not all in one go I might add!). We ended the week with a tea party and the cake was piece de resistance!


It was quite adventurous to make, certainly with the children all having a go. Some helped with baking the sponges, some helped with the construction, others helped make the roof tiles (coloured white chocolate would you believe!), while another group did the icing and the final group added the decoration. It was exhausting for me, but also good fun. I've never tackled anything like this before, but I was thrilled with how it turned out (and it tasted delicious too).
The one thing that worried me was when one of the turrets started to lean away from the cake,but a quick bit of thinking and a clean knitting needle soon fixed that!
And they all lived happily ever after. The End!
M x

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous, but I'd give a lot to see you in your Cinders get-up! Never mind, I'm glad you all lived happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow the cake looks fab! 10/10 to all your helpers.x

    ReplyDelete